At today's called meeting, the Board met to consider the implementation of a mask mandate for Kingsport City Schools, subject to Tennessee Governor Executive Order #84 (Aug. 16, 2021).
- In order to facilitate public input in an efficient and orderly fashion, the Board allowed two 20-minute comment periods, one for those wishing to speak in favor of implementing a mask mandate and one for those who wish to speak against implementing a mask mandate.
- Individuals providing comment to the Board today signed-up prior to the start of the meeting indicating their desire to speak before the Board.
- Those who submitted written communication to the Board prior to the called meeting did so via email at [email protected]. These emails were given to each Board member.
- Individuals providing public comment were required to identify themselves by name and address and were limited to three (3) minutes in length for comment.
- Per Kingsport Board of Education Board Policy 1.404 - Public Communication at Board Meetings, all comments were a matter of public record.
After public comment and Board discussion, the Board voted 4-1 to institute a mask mandate for students, staff, and visitors in KCS facilities, from Tuesday, August 31, 2021 through Tuesday, September 28, 2021.
Details of the mask requirement include:
- The wearing of face masks is required from Tuesday, August 31, 2021 through Tuesday, September 28, 2021.
- The face mask mandate applies to Pre-K through 12th grade students, staff, and visitors inside all KCS facilities from arrival at school through the end of the instructional school day.
- Exceptions: KCS employees and visitors may elect to opt-out of the face mask mandate; Exceptions could apply in courses such as wellness and band.
- Per Tennessee Governor Bill Lee's Executive Order #84, a student's parent or guardian shall have the right to opt out of any order or requirement for a student in kindergarten through twelfth-grade to wear a face covering at school, on a school bus, or at school functions, by affirmatively notifying KCS. KCS is extending this opt out option to include Pre-K students. Parents/Guardians may opt-out their child by completing the online form located at www.k12k.com or by completing a written form at their child(s) school.
to view the revised KCS Health and Safety Protocols approved during today's called meeting.