Q: Will students eat lunch within their classroom or in the cafeteria?
- Students may be required to eat in classrooms, to minimize or eliminate the volume of students in cafeterias. Menu options may be limited or changed and packaged to best minimize contact and handling of food. (8/24)
Q: Will elementary students still receive time outdoors for recess (if the weather is appropriate) or in their classrooms? Will they be allowed to play on the outdoor equipment? Also, what changes will be made during PE, Library, Music, and Art classes?
- Elementary recess will continue at schools with hand washing or hand sanitizing prior to and after recess. Students will be allowed to use outdoor playground equipment. School administrators and teachers of all classes, including PE, Library, Music and Art classes, will work to create appropriate social distancing as possible along with increased cleaning procedures.
Q: How will schools plan to ensure appropriate social distancing in the classroom, lunchroom, gymnasium, at recess, during car line, etc.
- During school operation, regardless of the operational status in which KCS is operating, school administration and staff at each school are developing procedures that maximize social distancing opportunities as much as possible in all settings. This will include before and after school activities.
Q: When students arrive at school in the morning, will they have to go straight to their classroom? If not, how will they be required to social distance before school?
- Following the KCS Framework for Opening the 2020-21 School Year, the administration of each school will develop plans for before and after school to provide for social distancing as feasible while maintaining appropriate supervision.
Q: There are times both before and after school where students congregate and wait in large groups in common areas such as auditoriums. What is being done to help make these environments as safe as possible?
- School administrators and staff are developing procedures at each school to appropriately space students apart. Depending on the setting, this may involve dividing students into smaller groups and/or moving them into separate locations. This will include before and after school situations.
Q: At some elementary schools, pick-up areas often feature a congregation of parents waiting outside classrooms. Will procedures be altered to address the congregating of visitors on campus? Will parents be required to wear face masks upon pick up?
- All students and adults on a KCS campus are required to wear a face mask. Depending on the operational status in which KCS is operating, visitors may have limited access to entering the building. (8/24)
Q: How will schools such as Dobyns-Bennett work to control traffic patterns, where students have to go in many different directions?
- Depending on the operational status in which KCS is operating, each school will develop hallway patterns that seek to socially distance students and staff as much as possible. Some areas, such as the academic pods at D-B, limit the amount of specific hallway traffic flow. (8/24)
Q: Will schools still have large assemblies and programs?
- Details regarding large gatherings will abide by the appropriate Tennessee Pledge guidelines. Additionally, depending on the operational status in which schools are operating, large assemblies may be discouraged or completely eliminated. (8/24)
Q: What information is available regarding athletics at the middle schools? Are athletics departments seeking consistency between schools?
- KCS athletic departments are working with other area school systems to implement a consistent return to play plan. Safety precautions and social distancing will take place as appropriate. Further guidance from the TSSAA and the Office of the Governor will inform future actions.
Q: Has KCS considered utilizing alternate schedules, such as staggered attendance days or hybrid classes/remote structure? And if that occurred, will efforts be made to keep siblings on the same attendance days?
- KCS may elect to operate on a hybrid in-person attendance structure. School administration will work with families to address situations where siblings may be scheduled to attend on different days. (8/24)
Q: Are any changes to the 2020-21 KCS School Calendar being considered? Will there still be a Fall Break?
- At this time, there are no additional revisions planned for the 2020-21 KCS Calendar. If any future considerations regarding a schedule change take place, they will be communicated to our families and staff as soon as possible. (8/24)