Kingsport City Schools understands the importance of communicating news and information to our students, families, faculty and staff. To ensure we are reaching our immediate stakeholders and the Kingsport community, we have several methods of communication to check weather-related changes.
school messenger (opt-in)
Kingsport City Schools offers a parent/school communication system. An automatic notification will go out to the phone, email and text contacts for all KCS students in case of an emergency or school closing/delay. Announcements are typically made by 6 a.m. and mid-day dismissals will be announced immediately to all contact numbers. Please ensure your child(ren)'s school has the most up-to-date contact information for this service to work efficiently.
Announcements will be posted on the KCS homepage no later than 6 a.m.
KCS social media
Announcements will be posted on the KCS Facebook Page
and the KCS Twitter Account
no later than 6 a.m. Be sure to "Like" and "Follow" us for news and information!
wcsk 90.3 FM radio
on 90.3 FM The Voice of Kingsport City Schools!
text alert services (opt-IN)
Sign-up for independent text alert services via WCYB
Making the Decision
Below is the system's inclement weather procedures to make the decision on a school schedule change:
- 3:30 a.m.: Snow Shed calls the KCS Transportation Office regarding road conditions.
- 4 a.m.: Superintendent of Schools consults with Highway Department, City of Kingsport Road Crews and the KCS Transportation Office regarding road conditions.
- 4:15 a.m.: Superintendent of Schools, Supervisor of Transportation, Chief Student Services Officer and the Assistant Superintendent - Administration are on the roads checking road conditions, if conditions warrant.
- 4:55 a.m.: Communications occur based upon road conditions.
- 5 a.m.: Superintendent of Schools contacts the Weather Bureau.
- 5:15 - 5:30 a.m.: DECISION. A decision to close/delay school typically will be made by 5:30 a.m. However, road conditions and weather may change rapidly after the decision to remain open is made. If parents believe that road or weather conditions are dangerous, and school has not been dismissed or cancelled for the day, parents may keep their children at home.
- 5:30 a.m.: Media (Radio/TV) and Electronic (Website/Social Media) notifications are sent.
- 5:45 a.m.: SchoolMessenger notifications to employees and parents are sent.