Assistant Superintendent - Administration Andy True presented a draft 2018-19 KCS School Calendar for review and discussion.
- The draft calendar was reviewed in report form this evening, with formal consideration and potential approval to take place at the October Board meeting.
- As currently proposed, major details of the draft calendar include:
- First day of school for students: Monday, August 6, 2018
- Fall Break: October 15-19, 2018
- Winter Break: December 24, 2018 - January 4, 2019 (Teacher in-service on Monday, January 7, 2019)
- First student day back after Winter Break: Tuesday, January 8, 2019
- Spring Break: March 25-29, 2019
- Spring Holiday: Friday, April 19, 2019
- Last student day of school year: Thursday, May 23, 2019
- D-B Graduation: Saturday, May 25, 2019
- A draft 2018-19 Employee Designated Holiday schedule was also presented for initial review.
- The Designated Holiday schedule will also be considered for approval at the October Board meeting.
Board President Mrs. Susan Lodal presented a report on the budget passed by the Sullivan County Commission on Thursday, August 31, 2017. The passed budget resulted in a decrease of over $1.7 million in revenue for Kingsport City Schools starting this school year.
- The County Commission's budget moved 5.5 cents from the educational fund tax rate, resulting in a projected revenue loss of $644,882 to KCS.
- The County Commission also, for the first time, elected to not share renovation tax revenue funding proportionally, based on student distribution, with each school system in Sullivan County (KCS, Bristol City Schools, and Sullivan County). This change resulted in a revenue loss of over $1.1 million to KCS.
- KCS administrators and staff will now begin the process of identifying potential adjustments to current and next year's budgets, knowing that revenue shortages this year that could be covered by Fund Balance monies must be planned for in next year's budget.
- Mr. Frye will present a financial update to the Board at an upcoming work session.