The Kingsport City Schools Board of Education held a work session on Tuesday, September 19, 2017. Several key items were discussed, including:
- A presentation on the International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE) conference, attended this summer by KCS and Board personnel;
- A report regarding district facilities and summer maintenance;
- A report highlighting the summer Administrative Retreat, a planning collaborative for KCS administrators;
- A review of three potential Board policy revisions to better comply with State law and district practice.
Detailed Work Session Notes
KCS Instructional Design Specialists Dr. Ashley Carter and Mrs. Alyson Dowda, and Board member Mr. Eric Hyche presented a report on the 2017 International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE) annual conference.
- Dr. Carter, Mrs. Dowda, and Mr. Hyche attended the conference from June 25-28, 2017 in San Antonio, TX.
- The conference is widely recognized as the premier gathering of resources and experts regarding the use of technology in education.
Mr. Bill Shedden, Supervisor of Maintenance and Custodial Services, presented the annual facilities and summer maintenance report.
- Nearly 5,000 work orders were received during FY 2016-17, with 94.6% of those work orders completed. Nearly half of the work orders were for doors/locks, electrical, plumbing, or HVAC needs.
- Capital projects included flooring, HVAC systems, concrete work, and playground repairs at various schools in the district.
Dr. Holly Flora, principal of Sevier Middle School, and Dr. Jim Wernke, interim principal of Robinson Middle School, reported on the KCS summer Administrative Retreat. This retreat was held on June 25-27, 2017.
- This annual retreat is designed to allow KCS leadership to work collaboratively in focused planning for the upcoming school year.
- Key work included aligning leadership teams with the KCS Strategic Plan, planning curricular support, planning support for students at all achievement levels, culture development, and refining current programming.
Board member Mr. Todd Golden and Assistant Superintendent - Administration Mr. Andy True discussed the ongoing biennial Policy Review, including Section 1 - Board Operations and proposed revisions to three existing policies.
- Policy 1.407 - School District Records has been updated to comply with State law regarding the ways in which citizens may submit open records requests.
- Policy 1.700 - School System Goals has been updated to reflect the current KCS Mission and Vision statements, as found in the district's Guiding Tenets.
- Policy 6.411 - Student Wellness has been amended to better align with State law regarding student wellness programs and includes language regarding the revised provision on physical activity/education.
The next regular meeting of the Board of Education will be on Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 6 p.m. The meeting will take place in the Tennessee Room of the Administrative Support Center(400 Clinchfield Street).
Read and follow our blog, "We Are KCS" to learn more about the great people and programs of Kingsport City Schools. Check it out at WeAreKCS.com.