The Kingsport City Schools Board of Education held a work session on Tuesday, August 24, 2020. Key items discussed this afternoon include:
- An update regarding the start of the 2020-21 school year; and
- Information regarding the return of KCS face-to-face students to in-person learning at school.
Dr. Jeff Moorhouse, KCS Superintendent, presented an update to the Board regarding the start of the 2020-21 school year.
- All students returned to school through virtual learning on Monday, August 10, 2020.
- This includes students selecting Remote Choice Learning 2020 or Face-to-Face learning for their instructional method to start the school year.
- Dr. Moorhouse also presented information regarding how Face-to-Face students will be returning to in-person instruction in schools.
- Beginning on Monday, August 31, 2020:
- All Face-to-Face students in grades PreK-5 will return to in-person instruction at school.
- Face-to-Face students in grades 6-12 will return to in-person instruction at school utilizing a hybrid attendance schedule. Separated by alphabet (by last name), 6th-12th grade students will attend in-person two days a week and virtually three days a week.
- Students with a last name starting with A-J will attend in-person at school on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Students with a last name starting with K-Z will attend in-person at school on Thursdays and Fridays.
- All students will attend virtually on Wednesdays, to allow for increased school disinfecting. However, on weeks where there are only four school days regularly scheduled (for example, Monday off for Labor Day), the all-virtual day will be eliminated.
- Additionally, the KCS Framework for Opening the 2020-21 School Year: Operations Manual has also been revised to outline the return to in-person instruction. Click here to view.
- All Remote Choice Learning 2020 students will continue to complete their learning virtually.
The Operating Schedule for KCS Face-to-Face students for August 31 - September 4, 2020 is as follows:
A dashboard has been created on the KCS website to keep the Kingsport community informed related to COVID-19 data and information. Please click here to view
The next meeting of the Board of Education will be on Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 6 p.m. The meeting will take place in the Tennessee Room of the Administrative Support Center (400 Clinchfield Street).