Detailed Work Session Notes
KCS Assistant Superintendent - Administration Mr. Andy True presented a review of potential policy revisions, based on recommendations from the Tennessee School Boards Association and recent changes to state law and policy. The Board will consider these potential revisions for a formal vote on first reading at their October Board meeting.
- 3.212 (New Policy) – District Water Testing. Public Chapter 977 requires every board of education to develop a policy on reducing potential sources of lead contamination in drinking water in public schools. This law goes into effect on January 1, 2019. It requires that all school facilities built before January 1, 1998 be tested at least every two years and contains reporting requirements.
- 6.2001 (New Policy) – Absence During Postsecondary Visits. Due to changes to State Board of Education Policy 4.100, the excused absences list in model policy 6.200 has been modified. College visits and school sponsored activities are no longer excused absences, instead those students may now be counted as present. However, to count a student present for missing a school day to take a college visit, State Board of Education Policy 4.100 requires that boards adopt a policy allowing students to participate in these type of visits. New model policy 6.2001 aligns with this new requirement.
- 1.1061 – Boardsmanship Standards. Board Policy 1.1061 has been revised to accurately reflect an annual reading of the policy after the election of Board officers (typically at the start of the July BOE meeting), as well as correcting a job title as “Superintendent of Schools,” for consistency.
- 5.1141 – Teacher Effect Data. School-level administrative analysis regarding student and teacher data is necessary to create the best environment for success. Board Policy 5.1141 outlines the administrators to which teacher effect data is made available. A revision is requested to include school assistant principals, so that the full administrative team is able to collaborate on such decisions.
- 6.200 – Attendance. Due to changes to State Board of Education Policy 4.100, the excused absences list in model policy 6.200 has been modified. College visits and school sponsored activities are no longer excused absences, instead those students may now be counted as present.